Over the last year I have been looking with more than normal interest at some of the key players in (my) blogging world. Every one of the people I have been watching had one thing in common with each other, although – at first sight – there is no direct relationship between them. Or they have been keeping it a secret, so no-one has a clue. Maybe you have the latest gossip on that? Anyways they do understand the true meaning of “YOU are your key investment”. You better make that work.
Anyways. You are worth a buck or two. I am not good at making compliments – as you can see – but you will get my drift later, I hope.
You are worth a couple of bucks!
Let’s face it and be honest. I would like to be able to live from income generated by my blogging. I love to blog. I like the interaction with people that comes with it. I don’t invest a cent in my blog. Uhmm… Is that true? Let’s go through things and stuffies and see.
- I use a computer and internet to blog. Is that a real investment? I guess it’s not, because if I was not into blogging I would have Internet and all that comes with it to. So no. $ 0,00 investment there.
- Ok. Host? $ 17,00 per month. (8 GB, 15 GB traffic + full services). I guess that’s my main investment.
- Domain name? $ 1.30 per year.
- WordPress account plus Suffusion theme? $ 0,00, zilch, nada, nothing. Thanks WordPress guys and girls!
- Uhm time? I spend 2 to 3 hours of my time on blogging and blogging related stuff per day. No money involved there, so I call it $ 0,00 investment.
- RSI related medical costs? Nahh… I try to sit up straight. $ 0,00 again.
Break it Down!
Ok. Let’s break those numbers down. Get out the old Casio and start punching in the numbers.
Based on the information I gave earlier, blogging costs me (12 x $ 17.00) + $ 1.30 = $ 205.30 a year. So to get what blogging costs me I need to divide that by the number of hours I spend blogging.
Press ‘CE’, Whoops, numbers gone. So. $ 205.30 (365 x 2) = $ 0.28 an hour. Are you still with me? Ok that’s the same amount HBO makes per hour from every subscriber to their premium cable television channel.
When I’m looking it in that way I do not cost myself a lot of money. I guess the only thing that costs less money than blogging (per hour) is playing checkers in the park…
That might be as cheap as one can get – legally anyways.
YOU are your Key Investment
I know, I’m cheap and you probably spend a lot of money keeping your blog up and running. No matter how you look at it, you are your key investment.
And you are worth every cent / penny / nickle / dime of it. Maybe it’s time to get yourself a little Return Of Investment. Things you can do to spoil yourself rotten on a budget are:
- GET that darn blogging theme you have been wanting all that time.
- GET that awesome subscriber plugin or service.
- GET that 23 Inch LED screen for the computer you use for blogging your heart out. Your computer might start liking you even more.
- GET that awesome blogger to do a guest post for you – for free!
- GET more out of your key investment. That means YOU
“Get Down Tonight,” K.C. & Sunshine Band:
“Do a little dance, make a little love, Get down tonight.”
Thar! I hope I gave you some ideas! My point? YOU are worth every cent you invest in yourself. YOU deserve you and it’s about time you finally give yourself credit for that. A pat on the shoulder and someone saying “You are awesome” is great, but it does not pay the bills. So give yourself some well deserved ROI. You have every right to it. Why? YOU are awesome!
You want more in return?
If you want more in return of investments you are making (we’re talking money again) you have to invest more. More money, more time, more of everything you have been investing in your blogging career.
But that’s no rule.
If you are happy the way things are going just leave things as they are. If you intend on investing more bucks on your blog you will need to deal with the stress that will come with it.
After all, you want more in return and that almost always comes at a high price, paradoxical as that may sound to you.
Oh and by the way, I put this pic of money on my blog for educational purposes only. Now you can see what we use in Europe as a poor excuse for money.
On the other hand, I can buy everything I need with it.
So… What do you do to improve your ‘Return Of Investment’ on your blog? Or are you perfectly happy the way things are right now? Feel free to share that ‘make $ 1,645.00 per hour with absolutely NO investment’ tip. Oh, and by the way, donations – in almost any form – are appreciated.